Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where To

The goal of this restore is a drivable vehicle. Specifically, a fun ride for one or two that can handle freeways and rain, but that's longer term. This is a hobby, the project lives in the workshop I run my business from, so when I need a break from work, I'll try to make progress on the Unisport. Here's the plan:

-Step 1: Working tilt circuit-
I don't know how much of what's there is usable, several switches need to be replaced before I can turn anything on. My next post will map out the circuit, then I'll know where to jack in power to test. With the Unisport up on jack stands I won't be putting much load on the system, so I'll replace what's obviously broken, turn it on and see what happens.

-Step 2: Cleanup mechanicals-
Once I see the tilt system in action I can take everything apart and clean/replace. Some things will be updated instead of restored, like the brakes and possibly hubs and wheels, too.

-Step 3: Suzuki Burgman 400 donor
The big scooter donor is pretty capable, but I'll need the Unisport cabin & front clip to weigh no more than 400lbs to run the engine in it's normal range. I'm not too worried - there are a bunch of almost 700lb Messerschmidt & Isetta replicas running 2 people w/ Honda 250cc scooter donors - but I'd like to carry a passenger if I can so I'm curious about the actual weight of the Unisport parts. Rather than hook up the Burgman at the header tube like the original design, I'll slice up the scooter frame to save weight and length.

This biggest consideration is always moving forward, I want this project on the road.

1 comment:

  1. i was supervisor at unicar in 1970 to 1974 ? 562-422-6009 hj99c5@aol.com

    ReplyDelete